[mythtv-users] SD Channel Picked Over HD

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Wed Oct 12 17:44:44 UTC 2011

On 10/12/2011 10:33 AM, David Engel wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:18:28AM -0700, Robert McNamara wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Kirk Bocek<t004 at kbocek.com>  wrote:
>>> I run mythfilldatabase once a day. Updating is not an issue. What I am
>>> referring to is the local games scheduling. There are one or two slots
>>> for games that they don't fill with actual game info until the day
>>> before. It's not a Myth issue. It's the network deciding what non-local
>>> games will get the best play in a particular market. I think they decide
>>> that at the last moment. Probably by watching Sports Center.
>
> That's highly unusual.  What is shown for this Sunday's games on
> http://tvlistings.com/?  That's the same guide data that MythTV uses.
> In my case, the specific games are always available at least 4 or 5
> days ahead of time.
>
>> David is referring to the fact that mythfilldatabase, by default, only
>> pulls the data for tomorrow, and for 14 days from now.  Therefore a
>> given day's schedule is only update when it is added, and when that
>> day becomes the next day.  The scheduling data is there much more than
>> a day in advance-- you can have mythfilldatabase update your listings
>> for *all* 14 days at once by adding --dd-grab-all to your
>> mythfilldatabase arguments in mythtv-setup (assuming your backend is
>> not underpowered).
>
> Yes.
>
> David

Okay, maybe the error is between keyboard and chair. Not the first time.
As a cron job, once a day at 10:00 AM I run:

0 10 * * * /usr/bin/mythfilldatabase --remove-new-channels

Should this instead read:

0 10 * * * /usr/bin/mythfilldatabase --remove-new-channels --dd-grab-all

This is a backend-only server in the garage with plenty of power.