[mythtv-users] Storing recordings on a second hard drive Ubuntu

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Oct 12 19:05:32 UTC 2011

On 10/12/2011 12:40 PM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Mike's JdJ wrote:
>
>> I added /media/BigDisc/VideoRecordings/ to the Default group and
>> now it saves the recording to the second hard drive.
> bear in mind that Myth will add recordings to both drives, and I
> believe it tries to spread I/O load - meaning that if you have two
> tuners, or multirec, and are doing two recordings then it will put
> one on one disk and one on the other.
>
> The issue is that if one disk is full, then you may find it
> autoexpiring recordings off that when you might expect it to stick
> everything on the disk with lots of space.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Storage_Groups

plus (mainly)

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Storage_Groups#Storage_Group_Disk_Scheduler

But, yeah, keeping the recordings well balanced on the drives is a good
idea.  Note, also, that you can just move recording files from one
directory/file system/disk to another as long as the recording file
stays on the same host and all the directories exist within one or more
storage groups.  So, feel free to move some of those old recordings to
the new disk--such that you have approximately equal free space on both
file systems.

Mike