[mythtv-users] Storing recordings on a second hard drive Ubuntu

Roger Horner roger1818 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 12 19:45:32 UTC 2011

From: Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk>
>bear in mind that Myth will add recordings to both drives, and I
>believe it tries to spread I/O load - meaning that if you have two
>tuners, or multirec, and are doing two recordings then it will put
>one on one disk and one on the other.
>
>The issue is that if one disk is full, then you may find it
>autoexpiring recordings off that when you might expect it to stick
>everything on the disk with lots of space.

I was under the impression that it will only spread the I/O load if there is enough disk space to do so.  If one drive is getting full, it will only use the other drive.  Auto expire is only a last resort if both drives are getting full.  Here is a quote from the wiki (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Storage_Groups):

    The balancing method is based purely on I/O, MythTV does not try to
balance out disk space unless a filesystem is too low on free disk space in which case it will not be used except as a last resort.