[mythtv-users] Secrets for low powered front ends ?

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Wed Oct 12 22:27:24 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:01 PM, "Patrick Ouellette"
<pat at flying-gecko.net> wrote:

> "If Google is to be trusted..." google+ will bury Facebook too.  I'm not
> interested in "might be" I'm interested in "is available and in main
> stream
> use now" or "is available and use is increasing rapidly."
>
> All the options codecs support are an issue for software and hardware.
> Someone
> decides what options will be supported and codes for them.  the only
> difference
> is once the firmware for the hardware decoder is finalized, it can not be
> easily changed. (I would argue the software can't either unless you have
> the
> programming skill to do so - "feature request without a patch")
>
> I'm not interested in web video (in case I haven't made that plain
> enough)
> but in broadcast and optical disc.  Hence I don't see a need for wasted
> processing power in this particular case (even if the cost differential
> is
> only $20-$50 up front).

Then just buy the computer you want.  I have no dog in this fight, but
you two slugging it out is getting redundant at this point.

I asked, when shopping for a frontend, what kind of computer to get, and
I was pointed to a dual core as well.  I opted for a used single core
athlon with a nvidia card - 1. Because together it was $90 shipped on
the used market, 2. I didn't think I would need more of a processor for
a frontend.  So far, I am right, but that is because it fit MY criteria
(mostly price, plus I needed the video card because I have a SD TV and
needed an svideo out, though I can upgrade to DVI/HDMI in the future
with the setup).  Everyone has their own plusses and minuses.  Both of
you are right.  But I think you both have made your points and should
move on at this point :)

--
  Kris B.
  krisbee at krisbee.com