[mythtv-users] SD Channel Picked Over HD

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Oct 13 18:19:17 UTC 2011

On 10/13/2011 11:25 AM, Mark Boyum wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
>>> Oh, and I'll say this actually applies to all of the mythfilldatabase
>>> settings.  You can configure mythfilldatabase using mythtv-setup on any
>>> host on your network--you don't have to run it on the master backend
>>> (nor on any backend host).  All it takes is installing mythtv-setup on a
>>> system, which (along with mythbackend) is probably on the order of a
>>> couple 10s of megabytes of hard drive space, max.
>>>
>> I understood that if you ran mythtv-setup on a host with a backend, then it
>> would configure for that backend

Exactly.

>>   -- not necessarily for the master.

However, if the setting is a global setting, it's /not/ for the master.
There is only one value for that setting and it's not tied to any host
at all.

>>   Is there
>> some host option that should be used in the case you describe?
> As I recall mythtv-setup pretty clearly display whether the screen you
> are currently on applies to the local backend or globally to all
> backends.  Though I'm not in front of a machine now to verify.

That's the case for some settings screens (such as "Job Queue
(Global)").  However, when the mythfilldatabase settings were moved out
of mythfrontend settings (where they were easy to access on any host)
and put into mythtv-setup (with all the other mythbackend settings), the
"(Global)" modifier wasn't added to the screen title.

However, if you think about mythfilldatabase, it's run on only one
host--generally the master backend host.  Therefore, there's absolutely
no need to have per-host settings for mythfilldatabase.  This is why
they are all global settings, so if you change one using mythtv-setup on
one host, then view it in mythtv-setup on another host, you will see the
new value.

So, unfortunately, it's not necessarily clear to an end-user whether the
setting is a per-host setting (and this will likely improve when we
replace mythtv-setup), but once someone tells you that it's a global
setting, you can use any mythtv-setup to configure it.  :)

Mike