[mythtv-users] ZFS anyone? Need to move off ZFS Myth machine and not sure what to do..

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Oct 13 20:43:41 UTC 2011

On 11-10-13 04:30 PM, Mark wrote:

> The existing ZFS is spanned across 5 2TB drives.  I could simply plug
> them in on a new machine if ZFS were supported.
> Right now, Myth on Fedora, all storage is NFS to a FreeNAS box that has
> the 5 drives.  I need to move that storage local to the Myth box.
>
> Trying to avoid a big data move and buying drives to move into as I cant
> destroy the FreeNAS-ZFS system until the data is gone.

You'd need at most 1 new 2TB drive and that's assuming your 5x2TB ZFS
filesystem is more than 80% full.  If you can get it down to 80% or
less, you shouldn't even need any new drives since...

Surely one of ZFS' fancy-pants features is that it lets you remove a
drive from a filesystem without a loss of data -- assuming there is at
least as much space free as the size of that disk you want to remove.

If you can remove a drive (again, assuming you have the space free to do
it) you remove it (if not, this is where you will need the one new 2TB
drive), move it to your myth box, create an ext4 filesystem on it, put
it into a storage group and then move 2TB of recording off of ZFS on
that disk.

Doing so will free up another 2TB of disk on your ZFS filesystem
allowing you to remove a second drive.  Move it to your myth box, put
ext4 on it and move another 2TB from your ZFS filesystem.  Rinse and
repeat until you have all of your drives independent and in a storage
group.  If you had to buy a new 2TB drive to accomplish it, you probably
needed it anyway.  :-)

b.