[mythtv-users] AMD and VA-API status

kenkyee at yahoo.com kenkyee at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 14 17:31:15 UTC 2011

govind.rajan wrote:

> I recently built a mythtv box and it currently working well. The
> box is based on the new AMD Llano/fusion A8-3850 APU and mythbuntu
> 11.10 beta. Ever since I built it about a month back I have been
> trying to optimize video playback. I get a smooth playback only when I
> turn off deinterlacing. All deinterlacing methods leads to a slightly
> jerky motion. It is surely watchable but it is not at all smooth.

Did you ever try following this old'ish guide to setting up a custom mplayer for MythTV?
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-desktop-74/amd-hd-series-graphics-guide-optimizing-video-playback-for-mythtv-mplayer-and-others-786335/

Sounds like deinterlacing works but you don't get as many choices as nvidia's VDPAU API...

 ken