[mythtv-users] Shutdown in limbo???

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 12:27:59 UTC 2011

My MythTV BE/FE on rare (thankfully) occasions gets stuck at the point
where the shutdown script executes "shutdown -h now 2>&1" leaving the
system in limbo.  I can't ssh in and the console is dead, but the
system isn't powered off, either.  Attempts to use etherwake get
entered in the system logs, but X, mysql, and mythbackend are off and
the system is stuck until I do a forced front panel reset.  Postmortem
log research reveals nothing (except the entries for the etherwake
attempts).

My shutdown sequence in more detail is:
pkill -x mythwelcome
pkill -x mythfrontend
/usr/bin/perl /usr/share/doc/mythtv-backend/contrib/maintenance/optimize_mythdb.pl
2>&1
/usr/bin/mysqldump -u ${username} -p${password} ${dbname} -c >
/var/log/mythtv/mythtv_backup.sql; /bin/chown ${user}:mythtv
/var/log/mythtv/mythtv_backup.sql
mythlink --link=/video/dvd --underscores --format='%T%-%S'
--separator=' @' --replacement=' -'
mythlink --link=/video/pretty --live --underscores --separator='-'
--format='%T%-%Y-%m%-%d_%h%-%i%A_%S'
shutdown -h now

As I say, this is a rare [but not rare enough -- like never ;-) ]
occurrence, and I'm stumped how to get to the bottom of this and cure
it.  Anyone have an idea?

Craig