[mythtv-users] Mythpreviewgen

Josu Lazkano josu.lazkano at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 17:40:54 UTC 2011

2011/10/17 Taylor Ralph <taylor.ralph at gmail.com>:
> On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Those filesystem types are fine.

>>> If that doesn't help then remove the vdpaubuffersize option since it
>>> will consume large amounts of video memory

>>> You are using VDPAU Slim which should be fine.

>>> Your packages are for the 0.24.1 release (June 2011) and doesn't
>>> contain anything committed since then. You need
>>>
>>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/35468d7d5ce5af18280c8753775e3b54f7ceaf40
>>> which was committed on Oct. 5th.
>>>
>>> I didn't realize you were playing back on a laptop. It's possible that
>>> your CPU is throttling and possibly slowing down your IO/memory
>>> performance. Could you try disabling anytype of CPU throttling and see
>>> if that helps? Also, please provide the graphics chipset and video
>>> memory you are using.
>>>
>>> Regards.
>>> --
>>> Taylor
>>>

>> Thanks Taylor, I am using a HTPC with Nvidia ION plataform as
>> frontend/backend, but I try the laptop to test the mythpreviewgen
>> pauses on it. I think it is not related to playback, because I use
>> different profiles on both frontends and there are little stops on
>> playback (Normal and VDPAU Slim profiles).
>>

> Are you using one or two DIMMs? The ION platform supports dual-channel
> memory but some chose to only install a single DIMM which limits
> performance.
>
> Regards.
> --
> Taylor

Hello Taylor, I am using 2 x 2GB of memory:

# dmidecode --type 17
# dmidecode 2.9
SMBIOS 2.6 present.

Handle 0x0026, DMI type 17, 28 bytes
Memory Device
	Array Handle: 0x0024
	Error Information Handle: Not Provided
	Total Width: 64 bits
	Data Width: 64 bits
	Size: 2048 MB
	Form Factor: DIMM
	Set: None
	Locator: DIMM0
	Bank Locator: BANK0
	Type: SDRAM
	Type Detail: Synchronous
	Speed: 1639 MHz (0.6 ns)
	Manufacturer: Kingston
	Serial Number: 59202XXX
	Asset Tag: AssetTagNum0
	Part Number: 2G-UDIMM

Handle 0x0028, DMI type 17, 28 bytes
Memory Device
	Array Handle: 0x0024
	Error Information Handle: Not Provided
	Total Width: Unknown
	Data Width: 64 bits
	Size: No Module Installed
	Form Factor: Other
	Set: None
	Locator: DIMM1
	Bank Locator: BANK1
	Type: Unknown
	Type Detail: None
	Speed: Unknown
	Manufacturer: Manufacturer01
	Serial Number: SerNum01
	Asset Tag: AssetTagNum1
	Part Number: ModulePartNumber01

Handle 0x002A, DMI type 17, 28 bytes
Memory Device
	Array Handle: 0x0024
	Error Information Handle: Not Provided
	Total Width: 64 bits
	Data Width: 64 bits
	Size: 2048 MB
	Form Factor: DIMM
	Set: None
	Locator: DIMM2
	Bank Locator: BANK2
	Type: SDRAM
	Type Detail: Synchronous
	Speed: 1639 MHz (0.6 ns)
	Manufacturer: Kingston
	Serial Number: 4C041XXX
	Asset Tag: AssetTagNum2
	Part Number:

Handle 0x002C, DMI type 17, 28 bytes
Memory Device
	Array Handle: 0x0024
	Error Information Handle: Not Provided
	Total Width: Unknown
	Data Width: 64 bits
	Size: No Module Installed
	Form Factor: Other
	Set: None
	Locator: DIMM3
	Bank Locator: BANK3
	Type: Unknown
	Type Detail: None
	Speed: Unknown
	Manufacturer: Manufacturer03
	Serial Number: SerNum03
	Asset Tag: AssetTagNum3
	Part Number: ModulePartNumber03

# free
Mem:       3113784    3020852      92932          0      67588    2400964
-/+ buffers/cache:     552300    2561484
Swap:      6080504          0    6080504

Kind regards.

--
Josu Lazkano