[mythtv-users] AMD and VA-API status

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 14:30:03 UTC 2011

On 14 October 2011 18:55, Govindarajan <govind.rajan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I did try the guide just before posting on this list. Followed the
> guide but got a blank screen and a high pitched noise as output. I
> could give it a try once more but the key issue is that the custom
> player would only work with video files and not TV. So the solution
> still is only 50% of what I would like. I have decided to wait until
> vaapi is stable. I have slapped a nvidia card in the system and it is
> now working great. But the noise and power consumption has gone up,
> which is what I wanted to avoid in the first place.

I just had another test with VAAPI on my master backend with an Intel
chipset. After adding the x-swat/Ubuntu-X ppa to my repositories and
pulling in some newer libva code, VAAPI seems to be stable again in
master.

So the moral of the story seems to be - make sure you have the latest
drivers and libraries.

Still no VC-1, deinterlacing or picture controls though.

regards

Mark