[mythtv-users] XMLTV problems (uk)?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 15:53:31 UTC 2011

On 18 October 2011 12:06, Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> On 18/10/11 02:15, Nick Morrott wrote:
>> On 17 October 2011 22:30, Thomas Boehm<mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net>  wrote:
>>
>>> I had have problems in the past from time to time when I let
>>> mythfilldatabase run around 7 or 8 am. Maybe it's a server/bandwith
>>> issue when too many people try to fetch the new data in the morning.
>>> Since I moved it to the evening hours I haven't noticed any problems.
>>
>> New listings data is generated daily on the Radio Times website at
>> 07:45 local time.
>>
>> If you use the tv_grab_uk_rt grabber for listings, set your daily
>> cronjob (or mythfilldatabase preferences) to run the grabber after
>> 0800 to ensure you retrieve updated listings and not those generated
>> on the previous day.
>>
> A good point, although not too much changes from day to day. I'll review my
> settings. Choosing just after 0800 is probably not too bright an idea...

Regulars will notice that not too much changes between updates -
mostly it's adding listings for the 14th day and filling in any "To Be
Arranged" or "Unknown" slots within the existing listings.

You will, however, lose any last-minute updates to programming being
shown within the next day or two. Unlike EIT data, the Radio Times
data is only updated once a day at 0745; as such I prefer my daily
scheduling (which is not just confined to evening primetime) to use
the most current information available for the day, and have my
cronjob run mid-morning.

Cheers,
Nick

--