[mythtv-users] XMLTV problems (uk)?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 15:59:18 UTC 2011

On 18 October 2011 13:10, Thomas Boehm <mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net> wrote:
> Nick Morrott wrote:
>> On 17 October 2011 22:30, Thomas Boehm <mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I had have problems in the past from time to time when I let
>>> mythfilldatabase run around 7 or 8 am. Maybe it's a server/bandwith
>>> issue when too many people try to fetch the new data in the morning.
>>> Since I moved it to the evening hours I haven't noticed any problems.
>>
>> New listings data is generated daily on the Radio Times website at
>> 07:45 local time.
>
> I know that it gets updated 7 or 8ish.

There's no "ish". It's at 0745. If you retrieve data before this time,
you will not get any last-minute updates for the current day.

>> If you use the tv_grab_uk_rt grabber for listings, set your daily
>> cronjob (or mythfilldatabase preferences) to run the grabber after
>> 0800 to ensure you retrieve updated listings and not those generated
>> on the previous day.
>
> What are the chances that something changes in the next 12 hours? It's
> more likely that a change is made in the previous 13 days. And if the
> update fails then you have the same "old" data, if not even older data
> if it fails more often.

The likelihood of last-minute changes is very small - typically it's
rescheduling/cancellations caused by current events or a change to a
programme due to legal issues.

You could probably run the grabber once a week and get very good results :)

> But the main reason for me was, that my BE doesn't run 24/7. It wakes up
> when it records or when I watch something. And it's more likely that it
> will be switched on 19:00 than 8:00.

Not a problem - running at 19:00 will get that evening's "current"
data and you will have the best data available. You may even pick up
any very last minute programme "fixes" by me made during the day.

Cheers,
Nick

--
Nick Morrott