[mythtv-users] LIRC -> Network Remote Control

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Oct 18 19:36:13 UTC 2011

On 10/18/2011 15:02, John Franklin wrote:
> I have been trying to figure out how to use mythbackend (no frontend)
> server LIRC to control remote frontend with network remote control
> (port number 6546 and netcat).

Simple enough.  Use irexec to call an external command on key-presses,
that pipes the relevant key to mythfrontend.

I'm struggling to come up with a reason _why_ you would want to do
such.  As Tom stated, this seems like an excessively complex solution to
a non-problem.  If you have a receive in the room, why not connect it
directly to the frontend?  If your backend is sufficiently close enough
that it can be connected to a USB receiver, why not just run a long HDMI
cable and make your backend serve as your frontend as well?