[mythtv-users] LIRC -> Network Remote Control

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Tue Oct 18 19:52:29 UTC 2011

On 10/18/11 3:02 PM, John Franklin wrote:
> I have been trying to figure out how to use mythbackend (no frontend)
> server LIRC to control remote frontend with network remote control
> (port number 6546 and netcat).  Has anyone done work on this before?
> I have searched Google, but have not had any luck locating any
> information.  Any suggestions on where to look and/or how to get
> started would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

I think you can do what you want much more easily, and with less
latency, than what you are trying. In my setup, I use multiple RF
remotes that transmit to a single receiver on the server. LIRC is set up
like this:

   lircd --driver=usb_uirt_raw --device=/dev/USB-UIRT
--listen=192.168.64.1 8765

(Your driver, device and IP address will, of course, vary.) The
frontends have their Myth LIRC socket set to 192.168.64.1:8765. MFE then
reads keypress commands directly from LIRC on the server.

I also run irexec on the server and the clients, but that's not essential.