[mythtv-users] LIRC -> Network Remote Control

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 05:22:59 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 4:30 PM, John Franklin <forgivenbyjc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Good question.  My MBE is on a very old (P4 1.8GHz, I think) computer I
> picked up a few years ago used for $20.  The integrated GPU is not strong
> enough to display HDTV and only has VGA out, also my TV is an old Sony
> Trinitron with no VGA input.  My MFE is run off of my regular desktop as a
> separate x screen with an Nvidia 7600GT s-video out.  The MBE and MFE are on
> opposite sides of the room, so I will have to point the remote in the
> opposite direction than normal--but still doable.  I am assuming here you
> mean separate when you say "discrete frontend." Correct me if I
> misunderstood.

Yeah I have my MBE and a frontend both within a short distance of each
other and the TV. I too have a reason,its to do with being in
"temporary" accommodation after an earthquake. Once the insurance
company fix our house the backend will go back under the stairs. In
the meantime, although I could theoretically get rid of my revo
frontend and plug the backend into the TV [1] I don't want to because:

1. the backend has a crap video onboard (nvidia 6150) and no available slots
2. the backend is somewhat underpowered to also run frontend functions
like decoding HD video.
3. the backend has no hdmi or dvi out and the TV looks much better
driven by hdmi than VGA.
4. I don't want to reconfigure everything when/if/whatever we go back
to the real house.

So although my case is rather special (I could count the mythtv users
affected by the chch earthquake on my fingers and maybe toes) there
might be any number of reasons why a user has the backend within IR
distance of the TV :)

[1] the backend is actually plugged into the VGA which is useful for
maintenance.