[mythtv-users] HD Homerun Prime Scripting

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Oct 19 16:54:39 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
>> You could separate this out by splitting the channel table in two.
>> Have chanid, callsign, xmltvid, virtual channel number, etc. in one
>> table, and make the video sources table be just the sourceid, chanid,
>> and tuning information for that that channel on that source.  That
>> would simplify maintenance of the qam channel list considerably.
>>
> I thought that was the difference between the 'channel' table and the
> 'dtv_multiplex' tables.

No, not at all.  I'm not talking about a channel as a multiplex, I'm
talking about a channel as something a single human could watch.

I can watch WNBC out of New York.  It's a channel.  I can tune this
via my HDHR, my HDHR Prime, or firewire capture, or via analog capture
on a PVR 150.  Why do I need four entries in a channel table for this
channel because I have four different types of tuners?  Why do I need
to make sure that they're all labeled "WNBC" and not "WNBCDT" or
"WNBC-DT" or any of the other variations that come up?

> Don't forget, the ways of tuning a single 'channel' of content are many and
> various. All that you describe is meaningless (well, almost) to us on the other
> side of the pond.

We use the same database schema and similar hardware, no?  The details
may be different, but at a high level the problems are basically the
same.

> I certainly agree that the information should be stored only once in the
> database, and for the UK that is what happens. We have multiplexes (frequencies)
> and each contains a number of channels, each mapped to that multiplex. It would
> be possible for me to receive multiplexes from more than one transmitter, and in
> those cases there would be duplicate channel records (ie providing the same
> programming) (Mostly). To remove those would require a channel/multiplex link
> table, with information that would be useful to only a small number of users but
> at a much greater complexity in coding for everyone. Do you really want that?

No, I'm talking about cases where there's a single transmitter, but
you need to duplicate this information four times because you need
four video sources to say that all four of these sources can tune this
channel.

Eric