[mythtv-users] AMD and VA-API status

Mario Limonciello mario.mailing at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 17:47:10 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Govindarajan <govind.rajan at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi All,
>    I recently built a mythtv box and it currently working well. The
> box is based on the new AMD Llano/fusion A8-3850 APU and mythbuntu
> 11.10 beta. Ever since I built it about a month back I have been
> trying to optimize video playback. I get a smooth playback only when I
> turn off deinterlacing. All deinterlacing methods leads to a slightly
> jerky motion. It is surely watchable but it is not at all smooth.
>
> I would like to know the status of va-api support for AMD radeon fglrx
> drivers in upcoming mythtv 0.25. Has anyone started using it
> successfully using one of the pre-released builds? In your opinion is
> it offering a good video acceleration for TV/videos/bluray?
>
> If you think it is a long way from being competitive  to vdpau then I
> would consider getting a used nvidia gt220 and use it until va-api is
> stable enough.
>
> I would like to hear your experience (pros and cons) with va-api in
> yet-to-be released 0.25. I do not mind compiling mythtv if va-api is
> worth it.
>
> Thanks,
> Govind

I can't comment on how well it works with any particular card, but we
recently added the build dependencies and build flags to make sure that the
0.25 mythbuntu auto-builds include it.  There are autobuilds available for
releases ranging lucid through precise.  So you shouldn't need to compile
mythtv yourself necessarily.