[mythtv-users] HD Homerun Prime Scripting

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Oct 19 18:42:29 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 1:02 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 06:37, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>> You could separate this out by splitting the channel table in two.
>> Have chanid, callsign, xmltvid, virtual channel number, etc. in one
>> table, and make the video sources table be just the sourceid, chanid,
>> and tuning information for that that channel on that source.  That
>> would simplify maintenance of the qam channel list considerably.
>
> Does your proposed redesign handle the cases
> where you have multiple providers and slightly
> differing content from each?

Mostly.

> Extreme US example:
> One is Comcast, where they rebroadcast the OTA
> NBC channel as channel 2, but your outside antenna
> receives it as channel 3.1, and your AT&T U-verse
> box makes it available as channel 4.

That part of the scenario is already covered by the above proposal.
(I admit that there are a lot of details I've waved my hands over, but
this would still work.)

> Your Dish
> receiver gets that local channel on 1003, but needs
> a different content source identifier xmltvid because
> they occasionally preempt that channel to broadcast
> something of more importance.

I'm not sure how to handle that one.  How do we handle that today?
Imperfectly I'd imagine.

> Your satellite
> gets NBC from the national feed, so when you
> watch the Today show, you do not get the local
> weather (but you did get more of Willard Scott).

I'd call that a different channel, then.  I get NBC out of New York
and I also get NBC out of Philadelphia.  Only the New York channel is
WNBC.  NBC out of Philly is WCAU.  They're different channels with 98%
identical content.

> simplifying the
> channel tables to not provide the necessary
> flexibility is not the way to go.

I wouldn't dream of it.

Eric