[mythtv-users] mythbackend.log no longer records output of user scripts under that which will become 0.25. Workaround?

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Sun Oct 23 02:05:10 UTC 2011

On 10/22/2011 06:27 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 10/22/2011 18:53, Douglas Peale wrote:
>> <snip>
> If you are logging to 'mythbackend.log', then you are doing it wrong.
I was not doing anything before other than including "echo" statements in my bash script, and their output was being included in
the mythbackend.log under 0.24.
It is extremely likely I was "doing in wrong", but I've yet to find anything to tell me how to do it right.
> That is the old system of logging to a single file.  If you do specify a
> '--logfile' on the command line, only that application will be logged to
> it, and any child processes started will not log at all.  Instead, you
> should either be using '--logpath' or '--syslog'.  When specifying a
> path, logs are placed there with in the format <application
> name>.<date>.<pid>.log.
I'm not sure what you are trying to tell me here. Which programs command line? If you are talking about the command line for
checklogin.sh I pass to mythbackend via the "MythTV Backend Setup" tool, I am not sending it any --logfille, --logpath or
--syslog options. I'm not aware of any options like that to redirect the output of a script file to a log file. If there is such
a thing, please point me at the documentation.

For context, I am trying to fix the checklogin.sh script from this page: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ACPI_Wakeup
On that page you can see the command line being used and how it is configured to be run by mythbackend.

> As it stands, the jobqueue only supports passing %VERBOSELEVEL% to user
> jobs.  If desired, it would be fairly trivial to pass on all of the
> logging options in one lump, which would include the contents of
> '--loglevel', '--logpath', '--nodblog', '--quiet', '--syslog', and
> '--verbose'.

I think you are telling me how to solve a much more complex problem than I am trying to solve.
At the moment I'm just trying to get data written in some form, ANY form that is readable when my script is run by mythbackend.
I don't care if it is stored to my local directory, in the log file directory, or in mythTVs home directory, I need some means
of getting feedback from my program.