[mythtv-users] mythbackend.log no longer records output of user scripts under that which will become 0.25. Workaround?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Oct 23 02:38:21 UTC 2011

On 10/22/2011 22:05, Douglas Peale wrote:
> On 10/22/2011 06:27 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> On 10/22/2011 18:53, Douglas Peale wrote:
>>> <snip>
>> If you are logging to 'mythbackend.log', then you are doing it wrong.
> I was not doing anything before other than including "echo" statements
> in my bash script, and their output was being included in the
> mythbackend.log under 0.24. It is extremely likely I was "doing in
> wrong", but I've yet to find anything to tell me how to do it right.

I'm not talking about the script, I'm talking about how you ran
mythbackend.  If you ran it with --logfile, you will only get the output
of mythbackend in that file.  If you ran it with --logpath, all preview
generation, guide downloading, commercial flagging, transcoding, and
metadata grabbing will automatically log to its own file in that path.

logfile is the old option that still works... poorly, while logpath is
the new option.

>> As it stands, the jobqueue only supports passing %VERBOSELEVEL% to user
>> jobs.  If desired, it would be fairly trivial to pass on all of the
>> logging options in one lump, which would include the contents of
>> '--loglevel', '--logpath', '--nodblog', '--quiet', '--syslog', and
>> '--verbose'.
> I think you are telling me how to solve a much more complex problem
> than I am trying to solve. At the moment I'm just trying to get data
> written in some form, ANY form that is readable when my script is run
> by mythbackend. I don't care if it is stored to my local directory,
> in the log file directory, or in mythTVs home directory, I need some
> means of getting feedback from my program.

Simple solution, add a '>> /path/to/some/file.log' to the end of your
user job.  More complex solution, make sure each of your individual echo
statements and other commands are redirected into some file.  Best
solution, add a new string to replace with all the logging information,
and handle it on the command line within the script to figure out what
to do.