[mythtv-users] Mythbacked on ESXi 5.0

Jim Oltman jim.oltman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 13:56:11 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 8:32 AM, Ib Uhrskov <ib at uhrskov.net> wrote:

>> Aren't you limited to only 8GB of RAM in ESXi5 free version?  That's a
>> huge downside for me.
>>

> Copy/Paste
>
> Product: VMware vSphere 5 Hypervisor Licensed for 1 physical CPUs
> (unlimited cores per CPU)
> License Key: Mxxxx-0xxxx-0xxxx-0xxxx-8xxxx
> Expires: Never
>
> Product Features:
>     Up to 32 GB of memory
>     Up to 8-way virtual SMP
>
> Nope
>
> Other limits.

Like a single physical processor.  Interesting.  I have a SuperMicro
X8DTH-6f motherboard at home.  I wanted to do a couple Xeons in there and do
VMware on a small SSD.  The SSD would house a single datastore for Nexenta.
 That would load up, then Nexenta would have passthrough control of a SAS
card that'd have multiple 1TB SAS drives on it.  But, since I'm limited to
32GB of RAM (and not to mention the price of HDDs skyrocketing due to the
flood in Thailand), that's looking more and more like a pipe dream.