[mythtv-users] Mythbacked on ESXi 5.0

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Oct 24 16:20:43 UTC 2011

On 10/24/2011 11:53, Doug Lytle wrote:
> Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> So use a filesystem that supports snapshots.
> I do this as well (XFS), but it's a far cry from recovery when you've
> screwed up your whole system with a mail server upgrade or you've tried
> to upgrade PHP or perl, only to find that nothing works afterwards.

No it's not.  Anything in your root directory should be considered off
limits, required for minimal functionality for repair.  Either that, or
you use a bootable dongle for that purpose.  All packages get installed
to /usr (or /usr/local depending on the system) so give that its own
partition.  Snapshot before doing updates.  If you get the system into
an unsortable mess, drop back to single user mode, unmount /usr, roll it
back to the snapshot, and bring the system back up.