[mythtv-users] Adding A Few Channels to HDHR Line-up

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Mon Oct 24 16:59:16 UTC 2011

On 10/24/2011 9:54 AM, John Welch wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org
> <mailto:eric at lisaneric.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 9:06 AM, John Welch <jrw3319 at gmail.com
>     <mailto:jrw3319 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>      > This might add the channels to my MythTV lineup, but it won't
>     properly
>      > configure Myth so that the HDHR is able to tune it, will it?
>
>     No, it won't.  You need to re-run the mythtv channel scanner in
>     mythtv-setup to add new channels to an hdhr source.
>
>     Eric
>

> Thanks Eric; that's what I thought.  So this brings me right back to my
> original question.  Is the channel scanner in mythtv-setup the best /
> only way to go?
>
> I currently have around 50 channels in mythtv for my hdhr source.
>   Definitely lots of SD/HD dupes and some "junk" channels; 50 is just
> the approximate raw number.  I have everything working to my
> satisfaction with the HDHR.  The recent scan with the HDHR tools showed
> that there are maybe 4 or 5 new channels that I can tune.  Of these one
> I definitely would like to get into Myth and another looks interesting,
> but I doubt I would ever record anything from it.  The rest I could care
> less about.  I'm afraid of doing a scan and messing up something with
> the 50 or so channels that I have working just to try to get 1 or 2
> channels added.
>
> Thanks again,
> John

I long ago figured out how to manually manipulate both the channel table
and the dtv_multiplex table to deal with just this kind of situation. I
didn't want to have to use the channel scanner just to add one or two
channels.

It really depends on your comfort level with MySQL and the MythTV
database structure. Directly messing with the MythTV database is not
recommended by the devs. However, *for me* it's the easiest way to deal
with this kind of situation.