[mythtv-users] Adding A Few Channels to HDHR Line-up

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Oct 24 18:18:47 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 12:54 PM, John Welch <jrw3319 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Eric; that's what I thought.  So this brings me right back to my
> original question.  Is the channel scanner in mythtv-setup the best / only
> way to go?

The channel scanner is the officially recommended/supported way to go,
but you can do this with direct database manipulation.

> I currently have around 50 channels in mythtv for my hdhr source.
>  Definitely lots of SD/HD dupes and some "junk" channels; 50 is just the
> approximate raw number.

Generally, you want to have an entry for these in your channel table,
but mark them as invisible.  That way, if you re-do the scan, the junk
channels won't show up as new.

> I'm afraid of doing a
> scan and messing up something with the 50 or so channels that I have working
> just to try to get 1 or 2 channels added.

It's not supposed to be destructive (and generally isn't) but it's not perfect.

See also:

http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/8983

Eric