[mythtv-users] Adding A Few Channels to HDHR Line-up

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Oct 24 18:44:00 UTC 2011

On 10/24/2011 02:18 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 12:54 PM, John Welch wrote:
>> Thanks Eric; that's what I thought.  So this brings me right back to my
>> original question.  Is the channel scanner in mythtv-setup the best / only
>> way to go?
> The channel scanner is the officially recommended/supported way to go,
> but you can do this with direct database manipulation.

Yes, I highly recommend using the channel scanner /after/ creating a
database backup ( http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore
)***.  Then, when it works, you're happy, or if for some reason the end
result doesn't work, you can restore the database backup and then be
back to where you were before the attempt.  Then, you can ask for
additional (specific) help in using the channel scanner here or on IRC.

Mike

*** You should create a database backup before *any* MythTV
configuration change so you have options if you make a mistake.