[mythtv-users] How do you reliably provide HDHR dhcp?

John Finlay finlay at moeraki.com
Mon Oct 24 20:50:59 UTC 2011

I have a couple of original HDHR tuners that work well but occasionally
go offline because of long power outages in my area. The problem is that
the HDHRs can only get their IP address via dhcp (if only they could be
set to use a static IP my problems would disappear) and if there is a
long power outage I run out of UPS battery power and all my systems go
down. Unfortunately the HDHRs come up faster than the dhcp server (a
linux server) and eventually appear to timeout on dhcp access and stop
trying to retrieve an IP address. When the dhcp server eventually comes
online it never sees the HDHRs. This causes my mythtv backend to lose
access to the HDHR tuners and all recordings fail. The only way to fix
this is to power cycle the HDHRs while the dhcpd server is up and running.

Unfortunately if I'm away on a trip and one of these power outages
occurs I'm not there to power cycle the HDHRs and so I get no recordings
until I return.

I chose to use the linux dhcpd server because it provides extra info
(gateway, domain name, dns server, etc.) to dhcp clients in comparison
with router dhcp servers. This helps with my other systems that use dhcp
to retrieve IP address, etc.

Having just gone through an episode of power outage shortly after I left
on a trip and having all recordings fail in the interim I'm wondering if
someone else can suggest a better dhcp server scheme that will handle
the power outage problem and ensure that the HDHR tuners will reliably
get an IP address?

John