[mythtv-users] How do you reliably provide HDHR dhcp?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 22:22:41 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 4:31 PM, John Finlay <finlay at moeraki.com> wrote:
> On 10/24/11 1:57 PM, Kris B. wrote:
>> On Monday, October 24, 2011 1:50 PM, "John Finlay"<finlay at moeraki.com>
>> Well, I run my origianl hdhr using the static ip plugged directly into a
>> nic card on my machine, so I don't have this issue, but a quick hack is
>> that you can force a reboot on the hdhr using the command-line utility,
>> so you can make a quick script to put on bootup, or a startup script, or
>> whatever you would like.
>
> I'm not sure what static ip you are talking about but my HDHRs did not
> respond at all to the "hdhomerun_config discover" command which makes me
> think they weren't responding at all on the network.

Hmm... If they're not responding to discovery then that's a bigger
problem. Is the firmware current?

The only option I can think of there is X10. I got a kit for $5 YEARS
ago that would allow you to power off/on things over the powerline.
One of the plug blocks had an antenna on it and a serial dongle you
could attach to a computer. Then you could just send an OFF signal,
wait a few seconds, and an ON signal.

http://www.thex10shop.com/product/x10-x-10-firecracker-serial-computer-interface-cm17a

Richard