[mythtv-users] Mythbacked on ESXi 5.0

Richard Stanaford rstanaford at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 22:53:27 UTC 2011

Wow, I *have* been gone a while.

I've known about FreeBSD's implementation of ZFS for some time now.
Got really excited when boot block support came out allowing you to
run it on a base install without playing "hide the file system" with
the kernel.

I had considered running it as a back end platform it for a long time,
but had always been made nervous by having to take my chances with
iffy support through Linux emulation for the tuner cards.  Reiterating
my hiatus from the project, that may have since been remedied.

Knowing about the OpenIndiana fork is illuminating as well and, of
course, if the HomeRun solution can be effective, then it makes both
issues moot and I can do what I want and leverage virtualization to a
lesser degree.

I appreciate the food for thought, Raymond.

Thanks,
-Rich

On 10/24/11, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 10/24/2011 16:42, Jason Long wrote:
>> On 10/24/11 10:41 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>>> With proper hardware selection (HDHomeRun), you can run MythBackend on
>>> Nexenta/OpenIndiana
>>> for ZFS use.
>> You've just described my dream setup. I currently have myth-backend
>> running on Debian, with the storage on a separate box running
>> openindiana /ZFS. If I could compile myth-backend on openindiana, that
>> would be sweet. Any how-to pointers for doing this?
>
> There have been people using MythTV on Solaris and OpenSolaris in the
> past.  Considering OpenIndiana is forked from it, it shouldn't be too
> difficult to get MythTV compiled and running it.  If you're lucky, the
> existing ifdefs in the code will take care of everything and it will
> compile directly.  As mentioned, the only tuner you're likely to get
> working is the HDHomeRun.
>
> If you're just looking for ZFS support, rather than a particular love
> for Solaris, FreeBSD 8.3 and 9.0 will support zpool v28 when released in
> the near term.

Sent from my mobile device