[mythtv-users] SD Programs on HD Channels

Roger Horner roger1818 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 25 12:42:24 UTC 2011

On 11-10-24 02:13 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> MythTV will automatically do this when using the software decoder.
> MythTV does not have access to the decoded video to do the necessary
> processing for this when using VDPAU.

Oh, I didn't know that.  I have a capable enough system (Athlon II x2 245e).  I am using VDPAU because it is there and figured it would be better.  Don't even need to de-interlace (one frame* is good enough) as I have an interlaced display.  I gave it a quick try this morning and it didn't seem to switch to Full when watching a recording of Gilligan's Island on an HD channel.  Is there something else I need to set?

I will likely still want to downconvert programs like this to SD to save space so I will try the script Kris B. linked to when I get a chance.

* this brings up a pet peeve of mine, why does MythTV weave the frames together when you set de-interlacing to none?  Weaving is a form of de-interlacing (a very bad one, but it is one) so it is very misleading.  IMHO, it should keep the video interlaced   If MythTV needs to have the video in a non-interlaced format, it should then use one frame (half size) as that can easily be converted back to an interlaced format without any artifacts, either that or remove the option to have no de-interlacer.

Roger