[mythtv-users] Mythbacked on ESXi 5.0

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Oct 25 13:36:02 UTC 2011

On 10/25/2011 04:40, Andy Burns wrote:
> On 24 October 2011 04:55, Govindarajan<govind.rajan at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I am trying to comprehend the advantages of such a set up
> By BE is upstairs in a cupboard where it can be a bit noisier (10 hard
> disks, quad core, more fans, tuners) and rather than this box *just*
> being my myth BE, I run myth with the tuners in one Xen domU, mysql in
> another domU, and other domUs for samba, postfix/dovecot, windows
> 2003, cacti etc.
>
> It means that a box which is sucking £100/year of electricity can earn
> its keep in several ways.

As I keep saying over and over and over again, power savings are _not_ a
feature of virtualization.  Power savings is a feature of
consolidation.  Virtualization is for absolute isolation.  MythTV,
MySQL, Samba, Postfix, Dovecot, Apache, Cacti, and any number of other
applications will all live happily right next to each other on the same
system.  In fact, since you're likely sharing the same data in Samba as
you are using in MythTV, it in fact makes far less sense to run those in
a virtual machine, considering one or both of them is going to have to
access those local disks through a network share.

The only thing mentioned there that would necessitate a virtual machine
would be Windows Server.  However, that questions the need for Server
2k3.  It's sitting in a cupboard, so you're not using it as a desktop.
Were you using it for development work, you likely would have upgraded
to 2k8.  You're running Postfix/Dovecot, so it's not hosting Exchange.
Is there no Linux alternative to whatever you're running on there?