[mythtv-users] Mythbacked on ESXi 5.0

Matt Mossholder matt at mossholder.com
Tue Oct 25 17:16:59 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>wrote:

> No, but there are basic filesystem isolation tools like chroot, and more
> advanced "para-virtualization" like VServers and OpenVZ that offer
> memory and network isolation, without the overhead and complexity of a
> full virtualized machine.
>
> I will fully admit that VM vendors have spent gobs of time and money
> developing tools to make it very simple to create new instances.
> Meanwhile, most para-virtualization guides start with downloading and
> extracting a base distribution archive, and proceeding manually from
> there in.  I would love to see someone develop similar automated setup
> and downloadable instances as you find for full VMs.

...and in the end, it still wouldn't provide the same level of flexibility
and isolation as running in separate VMs. The overhead of running something
like KVM is pretty minimal, since a lot of the work is being done by
dedicated circuity in the CPU. If you are running into issues with having
enough horsepower to run all the VMs well, the amount of performance to be
gained by going to a container isolation system (OpenVZ,VServers, LXC)
probably isn't going to make a difference, especially on a home setup.

     --Matt