[mythtv-users] Issue changing themes

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 25 18:07:20 UTC 2011

On 10/25/2011 1:34 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 10/25/2011 01:17 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 10/24/2011 08:45 PM, Harry%20Devine wrote:
>>> OK, I was able to get it reinstalled using "sudo apt-get --reinstall
>>> install mythtv-themes".
>> Uninstall mythtv-themes and use the Theme Chooser.  In the Theme
>> Chooser, hit MENU (M), then tell it to show the downloadable themes.
>>
>>>     However,  I still can't get the selected theme to show up.  I go to
>>> Theme Choose, and select the Mythbuntu theme.  After that, the screen
>>> flashes and I have the Terra theme being used.  I see the following in
>>> the frontend logs:
>>>
>>> 2011-10-24 20:41:31.520 ThemeInfo, Warning: Unable to open
>>> themeinfo.xml for /usr/share/mythtv/themes/BlackCurves-OSD/themeinfo.xml
>> This theme does not exist.  It's an old one from old versions of MythTV.
>>
>>> 2011-10-24 20:41:31.520 ThemeInfo, Error: The theme
>>> (/usr/share/mythtv/themes/BlackCurves-OSD) is missing a themeinfo.xml
>>> file.
>> This theme does not exist.  It's an old one from old versions of MythTV.
>>
>>> 2011-10-24 20:41:31.524 ThemeInfo, Warning: Unable to open
>>> themeinfo.xml for /usr/share/mythtv/themes/Gray-OSD/themeinfo.xml
>> This theme does not exist.  It's an old one from old versions of MythTV.
>>
>>> 2011-10-24 20:41:31.525 ThemeInfo, Error: The theme
>>> (/usr/share/mythtv/themes/Gray-OSD) is missing a themeinfo.xml file.
>> This theme does not exist.  It's an old one from old versions of MythTV.

>> That said, I'm pretty sure if you get rid of all the old/broken themes
>> from old MythTV versions, all will work well.
> Sorry, just realized this may not be clear.  By that I don't mean to get
> rid of the 4 old themes that are specifically mentioned, above--they're
> just garbage on the file system and the error messages mean nothing
> (except that you have garbage on the file system).  Those errors have
> nothing to do with the problem you're having.
>
> What I did mean was that the existence of old/broken OSD themes on your
> file system indicates you likely have /other/ old/broken themes on your
> file system (possibly/probably including the UI theme you're trying to
> use).  Therefore, get rid of /all/ of the themes except the ones
> installed with mythtv (meaning all but Terra and MythCenter and
> MythCenter-wide) and then use only the Theme Chooser to install new
> themes.  Generally, this means you should uninstall any "mythtv-themes"
> type package from your distro.
>
> Mike

I see what you're saying.  I just exited the front end, did "sudo
apt-get remove mythtv-themes", then restarted the front end.  When I go
to the Theme Chooser, I see the same themes that I saw before.
Selecting another one to use gives me the same issue as earlier.  Did I
miss a step there?  How do I know if I have older versions of a theme?
Do I nuke everything under /usr/share/mythtv/themes (retaining Terra,
MythCenter, and MythCenter-wide)?

Thanks,
Harry