[mythtv-users] PVR-150: VBI/NTSC Closed Captions => garbled recordings

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Tue Oct 25 21:24:38 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 7:52 AM, F.B. Parker <fbp.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com said:
>
>>Video parameters:
>>Width: 720 (I think this is the most critical setting in getting good
>> recordings with CC data)
>>Height: 480
>>Stream type: DVD
>>Aspect Ratio: 4:3
>

> I made these changes to the settings and the captions/subtitles on PVR-150
> recordings work fine now.

It would be interesting to know specifically which parameter is at
issue.  Is it really that CC fails if capturing with a video width
other than 720?  Also, is the video corrupted if you just do a "cat
/dev/video0 > out.mpg"?

I'm not confident I can fix this, but at least if you can narrow it
down to a lowest-common-denominator use case which demonstrates a
driver bug then you can take it to the ivtv-users mailing list to see
if perhaps Andy Walls could take a look.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com