[mythtv-users] how to make 0.24 more like 0.21 ?

Roger Horner mythtvuser1818 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 19:04:26 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Marco Nelissen <marco.nelissen at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Tyler T <tylernt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > A more serious issue is that playback now isn't as smooth as it was
>> before.
>> >  Video halts for a fraction of second, though CPU usage never peaks and
>> > neither the frontend nor the backend log anything when it happens.
>>
>> There has been a lot of discussion on playback pauses on the list.
>> Personally, I'm waiting patiently for 0.25 in the hopes that they will
>> all be resolved.
>>

> So far it looks like turning off swap (the machine has 1G of RAM and
> Mythbuntu set up an additional 1G of swap) fixed it.
> Kinda strange, since before it was using something like 700M RAM plus 800M
> swap, and now it's just using 900M RAM.
>
> Interesting!  On my previous system (which only had 512MB RAM) I often
guessed that the stuttering was caused by it swapping out to disk, but I
always thought that problem was I didn't have enough RAM (which may also
have been true in my case).  In my current system (which has 2GB RAM), I
have noticed that if it has been on for a while, almost all the RAM will be
used and a small amount of swap is also used, which has always seemed
strange to me.

I seem to remember reading that MythTV will fill up all unused RAM with a
buffer of recently recorded video to save on disk reads if another process
needs it.  I wonder if there is a bug where when there is need for more RAM
it gets it from swap before freeing up space from this buffer?  I think I
will turn off my swap space and see what happens (I only added it because it
seemed like a good idea at the time).