[mythtv-users] how to make 0.24 more like 0.21 ?

Roger Horner mythtvuser1818 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 19:32:53 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 3:14 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> [...]

Isn't that what I said (though I incorrectly thought it was Myth not
Linux)?  My question is why would it use swap space if there is a buffer
cache?

> 512MB really *isn't* enough ram, but if that's all you have, you'd better
> leave
> swap enabled, or you'll run out of memory and things will start getting
> killed.

I agree, but that was my old system.  My new one has 2GB, which should be
enough for a combined Front and Backend (nothing else), but it still seems
to start using a bit of swap space if the system has been on for a while.

> If you haven't already done it, making sure your OS and SQL are on one
> physical drive, and your video on another, is probably the easiest solution
> to disk contention problems.

Already done.  Small boot drive has OS and SQL (plus some space for
MythVideo data).  Large secondary drive has all my recordings.  I haven't
really been having any "disk problems" per say with the new systems, just
curiuous that it would need to use swap at all.