[mythtv-users] how to make 0.24 more like 0.21 ?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Oct 26 22:34:21 UTC 2011

On 10/26/2011 03:54 PM, Mark wrote:
> On 10/26/2011 01:35 PM, Gavin Hurlbut wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Mark<markhsa at gmail.com>   wrote:
>>> Ah good point.  Git.
>>> Would you consider the GIT pre-25 fairly stable at this point?
>> Mostly.  Personally, I have run the tip of master on git (which will
>> become 0.25 at some point) on my production setup.  However, if you do
>> this, be aware that it *is* development quality code, and much of it
>> has not been extensively debugged.  If you are the type who wants
>> "stability" in your open-source software, you may at times be
>> disappointed...  However, as many of the devs are using it actively,
>> if it's a big issue that affects everyone, that bug's lifetime usually
>> is quite limited.  If it's something specific to your setup, etc...
>> maybe not.
>>
>> If you do choose to go with master on git, we do expect that you'll
>> follow the commits fairly religiously as things will and do change
>> quite rapidly, and the glitch you see may have been fixed in the few
>> hours (even) since you last pulled the code.  We have a -commits
>> mailing list to help with that.  I wish trac would make our lives
>> easier in searching for bugs, but alas, people can often describe bugs
>> in varying ways, so it's prone to duplicates...  That said, if you
>> find a bug in master, it's worth putting in a ticket if it persists,
>> after talking it out on the mailing list or IRC or both, etc.
>>
>> With those caveats.... if you are a programmer type, or don't mind
>> occasional days of "WTF" moments, I see no reason you wouldn't want to
>> try master :)
> Excellent advice. thank you.
>
> I remember reading a while back on an auto build script(s) to pull from
> the old SVN and build/install etc...
>
> Is there such a breast now that works with GIT and does the same thing?
> Or could anyone share their setup to have this automated?

Below is a quick and dirty 'callgit' script, with notes on the change
from the prior svn version. Note that this removes the prior mythtv
folder and does a COMPLETE git clone. Not for dialup situations.

#**************************
!/bin/bash
# callgit
echo "Calling git server for download"
if [ -x /keep/usb/mythtv ]
then
         echo "Remove existing folders, if any"
         echo "You may ignore 'does not exist errors'"
         rm -f log*
         rm -rf /keep/usb/mythtv
         fi;

cd /keep/usb/
echo "Commencing download"

# Old Unrestricted svn
#svn co  http://svn.htv.org/svn/trunk/mythtv
#svn co  http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/trunk/myththemes
#svn co  http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/trunk/mythplugins

# Updates only
#git clone -b fixes/0.24 git://github.com/MythTV/mythtv.git
# for updates only
# Complete clone download
# Downloads into /keep/usb/mythtv folder
# ie configure is run in /keep/usb/mythtv/mythtv folder.

git clone git://github.com/MythTV/mythtv.git mythtv
echo "GIT download completed"

#*****************************

The allbuild.sh script near the bottom of this page of the wiki:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_SVN_on_Fedora

will need some adjustments but generally will work. You will need to
remove the lines dealing with myththemes, but the mythtv and mythplugins
sections will still work.

The configuration scripts which appear below the allbuild.sh script need
a fair bit of updating, since many of the switches have
disappeared..(xvmc etc etc.). Just keep running the script and deleting
the offending line(s) until it works.

Geoff