[mythtv-users] KWorld UB435-Q V2 New Information

Peter Bennett pgbennett at comcast.net
Thu Oct 27 00:58:37 UTC 2011

Regarding the KWorld UB435-Q Version 2 ATSC TV stick, currently not
supported.

I have some new information that was not mentioned in here before. After
installing and running the device once in windows it behaves differently
in Linux and looks a little more hopeful.

My unit has vendor id 0x1b80, 0xe346 and that is currently not mapped to
any USB device. I recompiled drivers/media/video/em28xx/em28xx-cards.c
to map that vendor id to EM2870_BOARD_KWORLD_A340.

After installing the updated driver I received the following in dmesg:
em28xx video device (1b80:e346): interface 0, class 255 found.
em28xx This is an anciliary interface not used by the driver
usbcore: registered new interface driver em28xx
em28xx driver loaded

I then installed the KWorld UB435-Q under MS Windows 7 and it worked
perfectly. The windows drivers have loaded some new rom into the device,
so that now I get a different response from Linux. A little more
hopeful, but still does not create the dvb device. It is in fact
creating a video0 device which is not useful as there is no analog
output from the USB stick.
em28xx: New device USB 2875 Device @ 480 Mbps (1b80:e346, interface 0,
class 0)
em28xx #0: chip ID is em2874
em28xx #0: Identified as KWorld PlusTV 340U or UB435-Q (ATSC) (card=76)
em28xx #0: v4l2 driver version 0.1.2
em28xx #0: V4L2 video device registered as video0
usbcore: registered new interface driver em28xx
em28xx driver loaded
lgdt3305_read_reg: error (addr 0e reg 0001 error (ret == -19)
lgdt3305_attach: error -19 on line 1144
lgdt3305_attach: unable to detect LGDT3304 hardware
em28xx #0: /2: frontend initialization failed
Em28xx: Initialized (Em28xx dvb Extension) extension

There is a file in the widows system directory called merlinFW.rom. I
suspect that this has been loaded into the memory stick and modified it.

Any ideas what I can do to support this? It would be nice to have this
tuner supported, it is good value.

Opening the USB stick I find a chip marked LGDT3305. The board is marked
HU435Q and also has a TD18271 chip. It seems to be the same as the old
UB435-Q except now has LGDT3305 instead of LGDT3304. The module
(drivers/media/dvb/frontends/lgdt3305.c) is expecting an LGDT3304 as can
be seen from the error message (lgdt3305_attach: unable to detect
LGDT3304 hardware). looking at drivers/media/video/em28xx/em28xx-dvb.c I
see that the chip type is never set to LGDT3305, only to LGDT3304 or
LGDT3303.

I am new to these device drivers but if anybody can point me in the
right direction I would like to get it working.