[mythtv-users] Mythtv fade effect

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Oct 27 16:57:28 UTC 2011

On 10/26/2011 03:13 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Kris B.<krisbee at krisbee.com>  wrote:
>> The fade on the other menus can be disabled if you DONT use the opengl
>> renderer... I remember being impressed that it does fade when I had
>> turned it on.
> Right, that would have been my answer as well, but I didn't know if
> there was some way to keep opengl without having the fade.
>
> For me I've noticed that sometimes the fade gets stuck halfway and
> just sits there for about 15 seconds without responding to key
> presses, and then snaps back to normal.  It's kind of annoying.

The proper approach isn't to disable the feature (which is why we don't
have any approach to disable it, currently***).  The proper approach is
to fix your video card/driver/OpenGL configuration.  OpenGL shouldn't
get "stuck" for 10-15 seconds on anything--after all, OpenGL is used for
real-time rendering of video games, and if games got stuck for 10-15
seconds at a time, people wouldn't play them.  ;)  (Yeah, I realize you
were likely looking for the quick workaround until you can figure out
the root of the problem, but maybe if you give it a bit of time on the
list, someone will help you figure out the issue.)

Perhaps you need to reinstall the nvidia drivers?  Or perhaps you're
having a problem with the video card overheating?

Mike

*** Eventually, menu transitions will be controlled by the theme--and we
will offer more/different transition types.