[mythtv-users] A question about making a variant of mythlink.pl

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Thu Oct 27 18:33:19 UTC 2011

I recently found out about mythlink.pl, which can create a 'pretty'
directory of recordings with informative file names.  I'd like to have a
similar tool to use with my recordings from radio;  it's something I've
been missing.

The recordings are made by Myth from dvb-t transmissions, but I then
strip out the mp2 stream to a file with the same basename but an .mp2
suffix in a different directory, not part of the StorageGroups;
eventually they may make it to a data DVD.  I then delete the original
recording, but much of its metadata remains in the Myth database and can
be read in the Previously Recorded screen.  It often isn't very
informative but it's better than the bare chanid/starttime.

It seems to me that only small changes would be needed to create such a
tool from mythlink.pl, but my attempts so far to understand the Perl
code and, more significantly, the other modules on which it relies, have
left me unenlightened.  IANA Perl programmer.  I intend to pursue this
further but hints about how to point the search at the 'stripped'
directory and how the data of deleted recordings differs from those
still present would be gratefully received.

John P