[mythtv-users] A question about making a variant of mythlink.pl

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Oct 27 19:32:34 UTC 2011

On 10/27/2011 14:33, John Pilkington wrote:
> It seems to me that only small changes would be needed to create such a
> tool from mythlink.pl, but my attempts so far to understand the Perl
> code and, more significantly, the other modules on which it relies, have
> left me unenlightened.  IANA Perl programmer.  I intend to pursue this
> further but hints about how to point the search at the 'stripped'
> directory and how the data of deleted recordings differs from those
> still present would be gratefully received.

The data for existing recordings is kept in the `recorded` table.  The
data for old recordings is kept in (surprise!) the `oldrecorded` table.
Oldrecorded is a subset of the data found in recorded, and is only used
for duplicate matching purposes.

What exactly are you intending to accomplish?  Are you going to rename
those exported recordings?  Are you going to link them to pretty names
in a third folder?  Are you just going to make an independent third
folder with a bunch of dummy files indexing the information in oldrecorded?

You may find a better alternative would be something completely
different that operates as a userjob on the recordings themselves,
ripping the mpeg audio from the recording, and inserting it with proper
metadata into the MythMusic paths.