[mythtv-users] A question about making a variant of mythlink.pl

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Thu Oct 27 20:00:22 UTC 2011

On 27/10/11 20:32, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 10/27/2011 14:33, John Pilkington wrote:
>> It seems to me that only small changes would be needed to create such a
>> tool from mythlink.pl, but my attempts so far to understand the Perl
>> code and, more significantly, the other modules on which it relies, have
>> left me unenlightened.  IANA Perl programmer.  I intend to pursue this
>> further but hints about how to point the search at the 'stripped'
>> directory and how the data of deleted recordings differs from those
>> still present would be gratefully received.
>
> The data for existing recordings is kept in the `recorded` table.  The
> data for old recordings is kept in (surprise!) the `oldrecorded` table.
> Oldrecorded is a subset of the data found in recorded, and is only used
> for duplicate matching purposes.
>
> What exactly are you intending to accomplish?  Are you going to rename
> those exported recordings?  Are you going to link them to pretty names
> in a third folder?  Are you just going to make an independent third
> folder with a bunch of dummy files indexing the information in oldrecorded?

Yes, the last. Indexing, and linked to the recording.  I don't have
detailed metadata anyway.  The links would be easily updated if a bunch
of old files was retrieved from the storeheap or new recordings made,
and I think Xris has done most of the work.

> You may find a better alternative would be something completely
> different that operates as a userjob on the recordings themselves,
> ripping the mpeg audio from the recording, and inserting it with proper
> metadata into the MythMusic paths.

That might be the way to go in future but can't be done retrospectively.

Thanks,

John P