[mythtv-users] MCE remote with ir blaster

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Thu Oct 27 21:20:14 UTC 2011

> Do you have a make/model number for the unit that I might be able to
> reference on a real store.  I have had way to many issues with ebay to
> consiter them viable.

Well, I know it's not what you are asking, but if it helps, I've
personally bought this MCEUSB unit from this ebay seller on 2 separate
occasions and not had a problem:

www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-MCE-Remote-Control-USB-IR-Receiver-win7-Vista-/220663690358

I personally like that unit because it has a USB jack on the back. If
you look at a lot of other units, they have a cable running into the
case and soldered onto the board. I hate items like that, because it
inevitably seems to fail (whether by short, or by animal chewing). It
also comes with an emitter cable with 3 emitter outputs, so you can
control 3 devices with 1 cable as long as they have non-conflicting IR
codes. It's also got a second jack (cable sold separately) so you can
control 2 of the same device as long as you isolate the units so they
don't see each others IR signal. The downside to this unit is that
it's a bit bigger than a lot of the others: 2.75" x 3.25" x 7/8"

--
Ron Frazier