[mythtv-users] Mythbackend won't start (segmentation fault)

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 17:57:06 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hmm... none of the updated packages jumped out at me that would cause
>> both the frontend and backend to have issues.
>>
>> Considering the frontend only, maybe it has something to do with the
>> new nvidia drivers? I haven't yet updated to the 285 series on my F14
>> combined FE/BE box.
>>
>> You could try running the frontend manually with strace to see if
>> anything jumps out at you, but sometimes it can be a needle in a
>> haystack.
>>
>> strace -o mythfrontend.log mythfrontend
>>
>> As for mythbackend, try running it (as root if it normally runs as
>> root) from a terminal and see what the output looks like.
>
> How do I do that?  Normally I judt use the system mythbackend
> [argument] to start/stop/restart, but that is not working.

Well it looks like you have it fixed but for future reference,
mythbackend is just a binary in /usr/bin like any other. The Sysv init
script you're used to is used to control it on your behalf since it
probably runs as root instead of your login.

I wouldn't suggest running it manually as a practice but it's good for
troubleshooting.

Richard