[mythtv-users] External Channel Change Script for DVB cards

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Oct 29 15:45:18 UTC 2011

On 10/29/2011 10:39, Colin Albert wrote:
> The problem: I have a QAM card and want to build a MythTV box instead
> of using the cable company's (busted/worthless) DVR. The cable company
> uses SDV, so QAM is limited to OTA locals.

Generally, cable companies only use SDV on encrypted channels.  There is
no sense leaving the SDV channels unencrypted, as the only devices
capable of tuning them are those capable of signalling the head end to
send them, which are similarly capable of decryption.  Do you actually
know that those channels you would be telling it to switch in could be
received by a clear QAM tuner?  Even if they were, a simple channel
change script would be insufficient.  You would need to update the
database for the new location of the channel.