[mythtv-users] Commflagging X 4 = CPU ?

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Sat Oct 29 17:13:22 UTC 2011

Hi:

So, hardware problems are nudging me to consider separating the Myth
backend onto its own box.  I have two HDHomerun boxes:  1 receiving
North American ATSC and the other digital cable.  Accordingly, I'd
like the backend to commflag up to recordings at once--2 19 Mbps
MPEG2 and 2 ~1.5 Mbps MPEG2.

Is the simple rule of thumb that each commflag job should have its
own core?  I want to try to find a middle point between cost and
processing power.

What about disk i/o?  I certainly intend to put the os and MySQL
database on one disk and the recordings on another.  If there are
four simultaneous recordings and four simultaneous commflag jobs, is
that too much for one 3 Gbps SATA disk?

And, since you've read this far, does anybody have a recent config of
a similar box?  I'd like to end up with a mini-tower and keep the
cost down.  Case, mobo, CPU, ,,,?

Thanks,

Craig