[mythtv-users] BGT3600 - Ultimate UK DVB-T2 and DVB-S2 Tuner?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sun Oct 30 07:45:07 UTC 2011

Mark Gardner wrote:
>But does anyone know of any working and reliable T2 or S2 tuners?

I'm under the impression that they are few and far between at the
moment - and so I'm personally still using DVB-T only.

>It's a shame Linux drivers are seemingly second fiddle to Windows
>drivers. The BGT3600 would seem to be the ideal card if the drivers
>ever become available.

That simple market economics. For most manufacturers, the world
begins and ends with the output from Redmond. For those that do
recognise the existence of alternatives, they will see the simple
economics of Windows=90+% of users=one set of drivers to write.

And of course, for those that do support Linux, they then have to
face the impossible task of writing reliable drivers, that comply
with NDAs they'll have signed with their upstream technology vendors,
that work on all distros, and don't inflame the (seemingly very
vocal) purists who won't allow non-GPL code to taint the kernel.
I suspect this latter bit may have put some vendors off - if they've
"had a go" and got nothing but pain from the potential users then
they may well decide not to bother again.

--
Simon Hobson