[mythtv-users] Commflagging X 4 = CPU ?

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Sun Oct 30 16:38:12 UTC 2011

At 11:27 PM -0400 10/29/11, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>On 10/29/2011 22:01, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>> Does it seem reasonable that, say, a dual core, 3.2Ghz AMD Athlon II could keep up commflagging 4 simultaneous recordings?
>
>A quick test of an hour long 1080i recording on a 3.3GHz Phenom II takes
>388 seconds and 686 seconds of CPU time.  You can easily handle four
>recordings at a time.  The issue is that making so you can run four
>real-time commflags also means you will run four tasks all the time.  As
>explained, it's an optimization of one case over the other.

Thanks very much for the test.

Sorry I was dense--now I see what you mean about multiple jobs.  I almost never transcode.  In fact, 4 simultaneous recordings is pretty rare, too.  Most commonly, two or less.  The only other job would be mythfilldatabase.  Looks to me that a quad core is not strictly necessary.

Craig