[mythtv-users] CBS sucks!

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Mon Oct 31 13:41:58 UTC 2011

If you ask me, I think that the networks LOVE when schedules mess up
DVR's.  DVR's do not help the networks.  You can skip commercials, hence
they have less of a product to sell to you.  They have to get clever on
when to drop in content (like the little 15 second teasers during Top
Chef; these are little humorous inserts that usually add levity to the
episode and if you skip all the commercials, you miss out, so it
encourages you to at least SCAN the commercials)

This is why American Idol, Sports, things like that are so successful;
you have to watch on the day, and almost live, or you miss out.  You
can't just skip every commercial, you end up seeing some.

Also, having you live is more of a sell.  So when they mess up a
schedule, sometimes I think it is important.  For years now AI has been
2hrs 1 minute.  ONE MINUTE?!  This is so it bumps your DVR and either
cuts out the competition or you miss it and have to watch it live so you
can manually switch.

Same thing with the results sometimes going over and it ISN'T reflected
in the schedule.  Makes you think twice about using your DVR.

Also, nielsen ratings don't apply to DVR's...  so some shows that are
actually very popular never get their just numbers due to people
time-shifting (Fringe is a show that is a good example).

The network isn't going to change because you missed a show using a
device it hates.  However, you can easily fix it.  A used tuner card is
$30 on ebay, and I even picked up a single HDHomerun for $30 from the
manufacturer who is closing them out.  Get another tuner - I have three
and that seems to be the magic number in a myth setup.  Then you won't
have to worry about this crap anymore.  Anytime a game is on, just
record the 11:00 news and you will get the slopover if if runs.  Or just
do that every Sunday from now on.
--
  Kris B.
  krisbee at krisbee.com