[mythtv-users] CBS sucks!

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Oct 31 19:52:52 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-10-31 at 12:21 -0400, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 10/31/2011 12:07, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> > How about, if football (or anything else that is supposedly
> > hand-over-fist lucrative) runs over, CBS forfeits commercials for the
> > rest of the night until their schedule is caught up?  That's only fair.
>
> How is that fair?  CBS paid for that spectrum.  They can broadcast
> whatever they want using it.
<snip>

Umm, they were lent that spectrum free of cost for providing a public
service. In fact the NAB fights pretty hard against the idea of having
to pay for the spectrum. Anyway, soon the FCC may sell much of the
remaining OTA TV spectrum to the cell phone companies so they can
transition to 4G more cheaply.

I think the no-commercial suggestion was in jest. Really, they should
just "join our regular programming already in progress." Then only the
programs actually pre-empted by the sports programming is affected.
That's better than skipping commercials because it guarantees that the
programming picks up at the next slot. Even better would be to air some
entertaining shorts until the next program begins, but that might prove
too difficult for their scheduling and traffic systems.

-- Daniel