[mythtv-users] So: how *could* CBS solve the sports delay problem?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Oct 31 20:14:03 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 4:05 PM, David Watkins <watkinshome at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So, humor us here, Brian: how *could* CBS do this?  What do you suggest that
>> they do to make it possible for things after football not to shift in time?
>>
>> Be specific and detailed; show your work.
>>
>> Everyone else, chime in too!
>>
>> Cheers,
>

> Scientists in Italy have allegedly shown neutrinos can be "broadcast"
> faster than the speed of light.
>
> So...   even if a program finishes late, the station can use this new
> "faster than light" neutrino broadcast medium for the subsequent
> programs to catch up.  Because we get to see the programs before
> they're broadcast  we don't notice that they started late.
>
> (Note there are a few things to sort out before this becomes a
> practical solution.)

Well, that's one interpretation of "humor us", I suppose.

I worked on a similar experiment (not the one in Italy), and the
neutrino "antenna" we used weighed 50,000 metric tons, and could
receive data at a bit rate of around 10 bits per day.  You'd need to
scale up the size of the receiving equipment or broadcast power to
increase the data transmission quite a bit for an HD broadcast.

Eric